Sunday, October 25, 2009

6 Months to Blog vs. 2 Weeks for...



Welcome to Barky's blog. I appreciate you taking time to visit. That cheesy picture above that looks like a bad sports newscaster photo is me. "And sports with Dan Barker."

For the last 6 months I have been thinking about writing a blog about the happenings in my life and the thoughts that play in my head. I have finally gotten around to making it happen.
The last 6 months have been crazy. Why you ask? Well, let me list all the major events.
  1. I was re-elected President of AAF-KC for a second term. For those that are not familiar with the American Advertising Federation, let me give you the highlights about the Kansas City chapter. Founded in 1902, AAF-KC (formerly the Advertising Club of Kansas City) is the largest communications organization in the metro with over 600 members. We have a very busy social calendar that includes educational programs, speakers, consultant tours, agency leadership round tables, charity events, happy hours, and a huge award show called ADDY's. I have a great board but at times this can be my second full time job. More info at www.aafkc.com.
  2. My wife and I decided that we were going to try to make a baby Barker. We had no idea if it was going to take days, weeks, months, or years to get a Lil' Barky in our lives. (More on that later.)
  3. I was approached by a company that does kid and family marketing about overseeing their new business efforts. I accepted the role of Director of Business Development in June and started the first week of August. The company is called Creative Consumer Concepts (C3) and can be found on the web at www.c3brandmarketing.com.
  4. Above I mentioned that Nicole and I were "officially" working on a baby. Well it took all of 2 weeks to get that bun in the oven. From all the problems that I heard of fertility issues that ran in her family I was certain that it was going to take awhile. Maybe even a little help from a fertility doctor. Nope! This guy can make the impossible happen.
  5. Now that the baby is on the way I have a crap load of work that I need to get done around the house to prepare for the grand arrival. Finish the basement, clear out the office, turn the guest room into the baby's room, move the guest room to the basement, and more I can't think of right now.
  6. Nicole is 5 months along and we know the sex of the baby. If you know my wife and I, you know that we hate secrets. I would of paid to know what the baby was when we found out she was pregnant. We are having a boy. His name is Stanton Hudson Barker. Why Stanton you ask? Stanton is a family name. My dad is Stanton and my first name is Stanton. Time to pass the name down. He will go by Hudson or his nickname "Phog", after Phog Allen Fieldhouse where Nicole and I got engaged.
To recap - Re-elected, try to make a baby, take a new job, made the baby, lots of work to be done, baby boy named Hudson.

As MAX said in "Where the Wild Things Are," "LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!"

No comments:

Post a Comment